Buyer I assists in purchasing materials, supplies and services at the most favorable terms for the organization. Qualifies vendors, evaluates bids, and negotiates prices and terms for purchased goods and services. Being a Buyer I tracks purchases, monitors vendor quality, and maintains a current database of vendor information. May require a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent. Additionally, Buyer I typically reports to a supervisor or manager. The Buyer I works on projects/matters of limited complexity in a support role. Work is closely managed. To be a Buyer I typically requires 0-2 years of related experience.
Buyer Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Buyer to join our team.
- Support CPI initiatives and utilize Procurement Card Program;
- Collaborate with product development and design teams on assortment needs;
- Leverage the solution across and to other product groups within Supermicro;
- Deliver on customer needs;
- Identify cost reduction opportunities;
- Ensure supplier documentation, including engineering, calculations, drawings, schedules and instructions/manuals are received and distributed;
- Provide Accounts Payable with information to resolve invoicing discrepancies;
- Monitor inventory and product demand to determine re-order points and stocking strategies;
- Comply with Company and Project purchasing policies and procedures and act within limits of delegated authority;
- Review and maintain reporting on delivery commitments;
- Prepares purchase orders and bid requests;
- Monitoring relevant markets to identify supply trends and risks and communicating the research to the Company’s leadership;
- Execute administrative tasks assigned by leadership;
- Review and execute action items from MRP or system driven messages;
- Purchase electronics, motors, electrical enclosures, bearings, gears, gear reducers, nuts, bolts, steel etc.
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel;
- Experience in government / FAR buying environment;
- Creating and improving processes (being process oriented);
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in supply planning or purchasing;
- Lean Manufacturing, TCO, Six Sigma or other Continuous Improvement experience preferred;
- Aggressively pursue best quality materials, excellent services, and cost reductions from suppliers;
- A willingness to learn how to manage a business;
- Expected to succeed within a competitive environment;
- Able to multi task and perform effectively under pressure;
- Able to independently work and manage projects;
- Minimum 2 years experience in planning, purchasing, and/ or customer service, in a manufacturing environment;
- Attention to detail. Should be able to develop accurate written materials;
- Minimum of 3 years experience as a Buyer in women’s or junior’s categories;
- One to Two years’ experience in purchasing for a manufacturing operation, distribution of MIL/AERO components;
- Strong computer skills and advanced Microsoft products skills.