Strategic Planning Director directs and oversees an organization’s strategic and long-range goal planning function. Drives strategic initiatives, and supports the development of long-term growth plans and profitability goals. Being a Strategic Planning Director analyzes and recommends emerging industry trends, expansion opportunities, including mergers and acquisitions, competitive threats, viability of outside business partners, venture capital sources, internal business performance and business process improvement. Responsible for overseeing organizational reviews, communicating results to top management, and developing strategies based on organizational reviews. Additionally, Strategic Planning Director may be responsible for communications with industry analysts and the investment community. Requires a bachelor’s degree. Typically reports to top management. The Strategic Planning Director manages a departmental sub-function within a broader departmental function. Creates functional strategies and specific objectives for the sub-function and develops budgets/policies/procedures to support the functional infrastructure. To be a Strategic Planning Director typically requires 5+ years of managerial experience. Deep knowledge of the managed sub-function and solid knowledge of the overall departmental function.
Director of Strategic Planning Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Director of Strategic Planning to join our team.
- Rally all teams and effectively lead, influence, and negotiate across different disciplines to drive an focused agenda and achieve desired outcomes;
- Identifies the need for, recommends and supervises suitable research methodologies and syndicated research tools;
- Turns research findings into insights that leads to compelling stories and strategies;
- Inspires multidisciplinary teams (creative, media, digital);
- Connect digital to all aspects of business to drive growth opportunities;
- Has ability to be a great story teller when presenting strategies to clients;
- Provides market context and understanding of current and potential targets and audiences for communication strategies;
- Lead workshops, both internal and/or client-facing, taking the lead in designing, facilitating and moderating to achieve client goals;
- Oversees the execution of strategy related projects to ensure quality of thinking and strategic soundness;
- Has great ability to listen, read a room and think in the moment;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and responsible to managing presentations to the client senior management;
- Builds a relationship of trust and respect with internal stakeholders and agency partners;
- Shepherd strategies and behavior insights through all stages of development to creative output;
- Supervises other team members, providing mentoring and leading by example;
- Oversees the creative development, guiding the creative and content teams from a strategic stand point.
- Creative and strategic thinking;
- Project Management – leads large cross functional project teams with limited formal authority and helps deliver on team objectives;
- Commitment to consistently delivering work of the highest quality;
- Mentor and manager;
- Organized and detail oriented;
- Ability to lead and motivate;
- Compelling storyteller;
- Influence – challenges data or inputs that are inconsistent with expectations and prior experience and proposes specific alternatives.