The Senior Buyer qualifies vendors, evaluates bids, and negotiates prices and terms for purchased goods and services. Purchases materials, supplies and services at the most favorable terms for the organization. Being a Senior Buyer typically requires a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent. Tracks purchases, monitors vendor quality, and maintains a current database of vendor information. In addition, Senior Buyer typically reports to an executive or a manager. Being a Senior Buyer contributes to moderately complex aspects of a project. Work is generally independent and collaborative in nature. Working as a Senior Buyer typically requires 4 to 7 years of related experience.
Senior Buyer Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Senior Buyer to join our team.
- Coordinates necessary product specification revisions and deviations as needed with suppliers;
- Maintain system accuracy, including lead-time, pricing, current supplier information, current purchase order data, etc;
- Conduct searches for new suppliers of goods and services, evaluate their capabilities, assess risk and qualify as necessary;
- Manage item change process to include deletions, sub-rules, and unit of measure changes;
- Identify, execute and track productivity including cost reduction and cash flow improvement and support the development of the Annual Operating Plan;
- Minimize the Total Cost of Ownership associated with the purchase of goods and services;
- Reviews requests for assigned materials, parts and/or services and verifies specifications with requester as necessary;
- Specific activities (intermittent, on an occasional basis, etc.);
- Collaborate with senior management on stock/non-stock items;
- Assists other departments with problem resolution involving discrepancies between purchase order, delivered quantity, quality and/or price;
- Attend domestic and international trade shows to view and collaborate with senior management on new product listings and pulse of the industry;
- Review and modify demand forecasts for inventory items, purchasing systems, and reporting tools;
- Investigates and responds to Document Control’s queries concerning Vendor documentation;
- Identifies cost savings opportunities and assists in achieving yearly cost reduction targets set by Procurement Manager;
- Work cross-functionally within the ISC organization and other support functions such as R&D, EHS, Quality, Product Stewardship and Marketing.
- Able to work cross-culturally with colleagues and suppliers throughout the world;
- Supply chain certification (CSCP, CPIM, CFPIM);
- Strong sense of matrix environment with ability to effectively work within a team environment across countries and different time zones;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and project a professional image at all times;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with good relationship building skills;
- Experience in gas turbine engines and SAP is plus;
- Ability to lead projects and negotiate with cross functional teams and multitask;
- Excellent oral, written, public relations and marketing communications skills;
- Strong administrative and data management skills;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is required;
- Experience in delivering competitive advantage to the business through development and implementation of sourcing strategies for the spend category;
- Ability to multi task, problem solve, proactive with good presentation skills and self-initiative;
- Ability to meet deadlines in high volume environment;
- Ability to work independently and resolve issues.