The Software Product Manager I conducts research and develops a good understanding of the customer’s needs, new technologies, trends in the market, and competitors. Develops new software product concepts, designs, and/or enhancements to existing product design, that reflect market and user requirements. Being a Software Product Manager I participates in all phases of the product development lifecycle, including analysis, design, testing, and integration of products as well as the introduction of products to the market. Develops requirements documents, functional specifications, and mock ups to clearly illustrate product ideas and concepts. In addition, Software Product Manager I member of a cross-functional team that translates customer needs and technology directions into product definitions. May participate in the creation of documentation or user guides for new products. Typically requires a bachelor’s degree. Typically reports to a manager. Being a Software Product Manager I contributes to moderately complex aspects of a project. Work is generally independent and collaborative in nature. Working as a Software Product Manager I typically requires 4 to 7 years of related experience.
Software Product Manager Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Software Product Manager to join our team.
- Work closely with architects and technology leads, directly engaging with internal and external software development teams;
- Continuously track and prioritize defects, relative to ongoing feature development;
- Work closely with engineering leads to manage the product development lifecycle with our Engineering Team;
- Resolve complex customer requests and complaints in a professional and prompt manner;
- Identify key technical risk areas and work with team to develop actional mitigation strategies, then manage those strategies appropriately;
- Grasp complex technical topics and abstract key issues into an actionable form;
- Ensure the department meets the needs and expectations of the sales and marketing team to effectively meet milestones and goals;
- Work directly with Agile engineering team to manage sprints, lead story time, develop features and produce releases;
- Communicate key developments, updates, and problems to teams (both technical and non-technical) in other disciplines;
- Discern and implement process improvements that facilitate self-organization and enable our engineers to do their best work;
- Drive software certification activities, as necessary;
- Ensure that pre-sale and customer support requests are processed in a timely fashion;
- Partner with sales, customer success, and support, teams to define business requirements, product design, deployment and adoption plans;
- Act as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) and advise various internal, partner, and customer teams on the needs and requirements of target markets;
- Evangelize Arm in open source software communities.
- Ability to not only communicate in engineering jargon and non-technical language, but also translate between the two;
- Self-starter and proven team player with strong leadership skills and the ability to inspire others;
- Demonstrated ability to lead cross functionality;
- Technical knowledge of complex software systems, including enterprise, middleware, firmware and embedded systems;
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience managing software projects and products;
- Demonstrated ability to collect and analyze input from multiple sources (customers, sales, engineering, marketing, competitors and management);
- Strong experience or coursework in Software Development, Systems Engineering, or Software Product Management;
- Ability to understand and deal well with rapid development cycles and remain flexible in the face of uncertainty;
- Highly motivated and passionate for success with the ability to work from high-level objectives and goals;
- Minimum of five (5) years of technical software leadership experience;
- Technical Capacity;
- Problem solving/analysis;
- Bachelor’s degree;
- 3 years’ product management/owner experience;
- Communication skills, both written and oral.