The Manager of Technical Product Management evaluates and resolves technical feasibility, design optimization, and production issues. Manages and coordinates product development projects. Being a Manager of Technical Product Management researches and monitors existing client base and industry developments and identifies potential new product opportunities. Ensures that labeling and marketing/promotional literature match product specifications. In addition, Manager of Technical Product Management works with other departments to establish a design, technology, product development, and vendor strategy. Manages project budgets and prepares financial analysis reports for top management. May require a bachelor’s degree or in a related area. Typically reports to top management. The Manager of Technical Product Management manages subordinate staff in the day-to-day performance of their jobs. True first level manager. Ensures that project/department milestones/goals are met and adhering to approved budgets. Has full authority for personnel actions. Extensive knowledge of department processes. Working as a Manager of Technical Product Management typically requires 5 years experience in the related area as an individual contributor. 1 to 3 years supervisory experience may be required.
Technical Product Manager Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Technical Product Manager to join our team.
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the organization to understand their requirements and pain points and develop tools to make them more effective;
- Understand, create, manipulate and query databases;
- Act as the primary point of contact for the intake process to DevOps technology teams;
- Lead product backlog grooming sessions partnering with key resources;
- Gather technical requirements, create specifications and workflow documents for product and feature release/ deployment;
- Guide the next phase of development as the application scales to multiple services and teams;
- Execute disciplined and effective product development processes;
- Collect and maintain requirements from clients and business team. Write detailed product requirements and assist technical design with lead engineers;
- Analyze product usage statistics and patterns and identify new metrics for success;
- Collaborate with Tech Leads to create user stories and prioritize backlogs that solve customer pain points and enhance user satisfaction;
- Provide input on user-interface design and the customer experience using a mix of usage data and customer needs;
- Analyzing workflows and ensuring efficient delivery of software updates. Ensure clear communication across teams;
- Monitor the competitive landscape to understand market opportunities and trends to better inform the product roadmap;
- Work with Marketing and Technical Writers to develop content for Sales presentations, demos, and training;
- Managing scrum teams including initial feature planning, prioritization, product roadmap analysis and overall delivery timeline.
- Preferred: 3+ years of experience as a software developer, systems analyst, IT architect or equivalent technical role;
- Bachelor’s (BA or BS), computer science or technical field; or equivalent experience;
- Experience with systems design and development from business requirements analysis to day-to-day management;
- Proficiency with Agile, Continuous Integration/Development, DevOps SDLC models;
- Experience with high growth or transformative companies, or high-growth software divisions within larger companies is a must;
- Demonstrated ability to work within a matrix environment;
- A track record of successful product launches;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with colleagues and external vendors;
- 5 years of experience working with overseas vendors (Experience with Asia is a plus);
- Act as a product champion within the company;
- Proven track record of taking ownership and successfully delivering results in a fast-paced, dynamic environment;
- 10 years of experience in Technical Management;
- Must be able to obtain/maintain a security clearance (TS/SCI clearance is a plus);
- A passion for metrics and quantitative analysis; ability to extract meaning from data;
- Strong character and work ethic; able to work independently.