The Hostess monitors guests needs and the workflow of the restaurant and seats customers accordingly. Responsible for greeting customers in a friendly manner and escorting guests to tables. Being a Hostess updates the reservation book and takes advance reservations. Opens and closes sections with the increase or decrease in the volume of guests. In addition, Hostess may require a high school diploma or its equivalent. Typically reports to a supervisor or manager. Being a Hostess may require 0-1 year of general work experience. Possesses a moderate understanding of general aspects of the job. Works under the close direction of senior personnel in the functional area.
Hostess Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Hostess to join our team.
- Thanking guests as they leave and inviting them back;
- Greeting guests as they arrive and informing them of specials and events;
- Assisting servers and managers throughout the dining room;
- Managing a waiting list, seating guests, bussing tables, and assisting servers;
- Entering carry out orders into the POS system, suggestive selling, ensuring orders are correct and handling money;
- Answer phone calls;
- Making sure that every guest leaves happy;
- Seating guests at tables or in waiting areas;
- Engaging with guests to ensure they’re happy with food and service;
- Providing guests with menus and answering any initial questions;
- Provide great customer service;
- A knowledge of the menu;
- Greeting guests as they enter, and putting them on a waiting list as necessary;
- Responding to complaints and helping to resolve them;
- Assigning guests to tables they prefer, while keeping table rotation in mind so that servers receive the right number of customers.
- Able to work in a busy restaurant environment;
- A positive attitude and ability work well under pressure with all restaurant staff;
- Able to safely lift and easily maneuver trays of food when necessary;
- Ability to provide top notch customer service in a fast-paced environment;
- Restaurant experience a plus;
- Able to handle money accurately and operate a point-of-sale system;
- Willing to follow instructions and ask questions for clarification if needed;
- Does high-quality work while unsupervised;
- Able to work in a standing position for long periods of time;
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.