Medical Scribe acts as an assistant during the examination and treatment of patients under the direction of a physician. Documents and gathers information during the treatment process. Being a Medical Scribe organizes healthcare data to provide better service and efficiency of clinical care. Typically requires an associate degree. Additionally, Medical Scribe typically reports to a physician. May require certification as a Medical Scribe by the American College of Clinical Information Managers (ACCIM). The Medical Scribe gains or has attained full proficiency in a specific area of discipline. Works under moderate supervision. To be a Medical Scribe typically requires 1-3 years of related experience.
Medical Scribe Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Medical Scribe to join our team.
- Screening patient referrals based on clinical trial criteria to determine if patient is eligible for the study;
- Data entry of key information regarding each candidate screened;
- Maintenance and daily updated of multiple online portals to track patient interactions;
- Conduct physician referrals as well as service pre-certifications on an as needed basis;
- Observe safety and security procedures; promote a safe and pleasant work environment;
- Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness;
- Regular attendance to ensure efficient clinic operations;
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned;
- Assist the medical provider to be more efficient and productive;
- Assist patients with ambulation, transfer to and from exam table as appropriate;
- Document consultations;
- Assigned to work with one physician per shift;
- Single skill set;
- Complete and present the medical record in collaboration with the supervising physician;
- Provides written instructions and/or patient education materials for the patient to review at home. Ensure patient understands all instructions.
- Pre-health track (pre-med, pre-PA, pre-nursing) preferred;
- At least 18 years old and sophomore status or higher;
- Ability to operate a computer and/or laptop through proficient typing, clicking and viewing a monitor for extended periods;
- Computer savvy with efficient typing skills (at least 55 wpm, depending on placement);
- Available to work at least 16 hours per week (for continuity of placement with Providers)_;
- Must be able to accompany physician from exam room to exam room while carrying a laptop (about 5-10lbs);
- Complete Scribe Training Program and demonstrate competency skills (training provided through Precision Scribes);
- Criminal Background check (per hospital policies);
- Up-to-date on vaccinations, able to pass a physical and urinalysis (as required by hospital regulations);
- Transcribe patient orders including laboratory tests, radiology tests, medications, etc;
- List all proper diagnoses and symptoms as well as follow up instructions and prescriptions as dictated by the physician;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with physicians, staff and managements;
- See, speak and hear to be able to communicate with patients;
- More than 50% of the time;
- High school diploma. Basic understanding of algebraic principles.