Nursing Supervisor supervises and coordinates activities of nursing personnel in patient care units. Participates in planning work of assigned units and coordinates activities with other patient care units and related departments. Being a Nursing Supervisor ensures that patients’ needs are met and evaluates unit nursing care and performance. Monitors patient recordkeeping activities for accuracy, completion and compliance with all regulations. Additionally, Nursing Supervisor requires a bachelor’s degree of nursing. Typically reports to a manager or head of a unit/department. Requires certification as a registered nurse (RN). The Nursing Supervisor supervises a group of primarily para-professional level staffs. May also be a level above a supervisor within high volume administrative/ production environments. Makes day-to-day decisions within or for a group/small department. Has some authority for personnel actions. To be a Nursing Supervisor typically requires 3-5 years experience in the related area as an individual contributor. Thorough knowledge of functional area and department processes.
Nursing Supervisor Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Nursing Supervisor to join our team.
- Prepare monthly reports;
- Provides and implements formal orientation plan to newly hired departmental staff;
- Provides direct supervision for designated staff as per Odyssey House policies;
- When needed, conducts review of new applicant documentation to determine medical appropriateness for admission;
- Monitors compliance with Workplace Safety policy and procedures;
- Complete all required in-service training seminars;
- Other relevant duties as assigned;
- Completes patient care requirements by scheduling and assigning nursing and staff; following up on work results;
- Establishes a compassionate environment by providing emotional, psychological, and spiritual support to patients, friends, and families;
- Maintains nursing guidelines by writing and updating policies and procedures;
- Maintains documentation of patient care services by auditing patient and department records;
- Provides information to patients and health care team by answering questions and requests;
- Maintains patient confidence and protects operations by monitoring confidential information processing;
- Resolves patient needs by utilizing multidisciplinary team strategies;
- Any other duties that may arise that are not listed.
- Supervisory experience preferred;
- Current CPR and first aid certification;
- RN or LPN who has graduated from an accredited school of nursing;
- Good verbal and written communication skills;
- Maintains current licensure by the Ohio Board of Nursing;
- Experience with caring for individuals with disabilities in a residential setting preferred;
- Demonstrated leadership ability;
- Prior supervisory experience required;
- Critical care experience required;
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in nursing;
- Supervises and manages all the nursing personnel during the shift;
- This position is for 3-11 shift with rotation if needed;
- This position will also require weekend and holiday rotation;
- Certification as a registered nurse (RN);
- Familiar with a variety of the field’s concepts, practices, and procedures.