The Operating Room Technician prepares equipment, instruments, supplies, operating room, and patients and ensure sterile field. Assists medical team with preparations for surgical procedures and during the procedure. Being an Operating Room Technician maintains inventory of sterile supplies. Coordinates preparation or disposal of specimens and delivery to laboratory according to procedures. In addition, Operating Room Technician may assist in patient transport. Requires completion of surgical technologist training course. Requires a high school diploma. Requires CPR certification. Typically reports to a supervisor or manager. Being an Operating Room Technician works under moderate supervision. Gaining or has attained full proficiency in a specific area of discipline. Working as an Operating Room Technician typically requires 1-3 years of related experience, or may need 0 years of experience with additional specialized training and/or certification.
Operating Room Technician Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Operating Room Technician to join our team.
- Obtains sterile supplies and instruments for circulator and opens onto sterile field aseptically;
- Keeps track of sponges, needles, and instruments during procedure at all times;
- Organizes and assists in end-of-case clean up;
- Attempts reasonable anticipation of sequence of instrumentation;
- Actively participates in department meetings, committees, conferences, and in-services;
- Assists circulator in obtaining supplies prior to bringing patient to room;
- Assists circulator in checking equipment;
- Using aseptic technique holds limbs for sterile surgical prep;
- Assists with maintaining appropriate levels of inventory by picking up needed materials when necessary;
- Knows, understands, incorporates, and demonstrates the Mercy and Trinity Health Mission, Vision, and Values in behaviors, practices, and decisions;
- If trained to do so, perform skin closure per hospital policy with the appropriate suture materials and suturing techniques;
- Relays accurate identification of specimens and cultures;
- Performs various other departmental functions on occasion, such as delivering schedules, mail and routing messages;
- Takes responsibility and maintains the safety of patients specific to their age related needs in accordance with established policies and procedures;
- Maintains confidentiality of information pertaining to clients, physicians, employees, and Mercy business.
- Attends in services per needs of the department as specified by nurse manager of perioperative educator;
- Maintains a current CPR certification;
- Current Basic Life Support certification;
- Is able to perform a variety of duties characterized by frequent change;
- Knowledge of aseptic technique preferred;
- High school diploma or equivalent required;
- Is able to communicate effectively with all members of the health care team;
- Must be comfortable operating in a collaborative, shared leadership environment;
- Must have a general working knowledge of computers and department specific software (i.e. Healthstream, internet, etc.);
- Knowledge of and experience in back care and transfer techniques preferred.