The Registered Nurse Supervisor (RN) participates in planning work of assigned units and coordinates activities with other patient care units and related departments. Supervises and coordinates activities of nursing personnel in patient care units. Being a Registered Nurse Supervisor (RN) monitors patient recordkeeping activities for accuracy, completion and compliance with all regulations. Ensures that patients’ needs are met and evaluates unit nursing care and performance. In addition, Registered Nurse Supervisor (RN) requires a bachelor’s degree of nursing. Typically reports to a manager or head of a unit/department. Requires certification as a registered nurse (RN). The Registered Nurse Supervisor (RN) supervises a group of primarily para-professional level staffs. May also be a level above a supervisor within high volume administrative/ production environments. Makes day-to-day decisions within or for a group/small department. Has some authority for personnel actions. Working as a Registered Nurse Supervisor (RN) typically requires 3-5 years experience in the related area as an individual contributor. Thorough knowledge of functional area and department processes.
Registered Nurse (RN) Supervisor Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Registered Nurse (RN) Supervisor to join our team.
- Report all discrepancies noted concerning physicians’ orders, diet change, charting error, etc., to the Charge Nurse/Nurse Manager;
- Admit, transfer & discharge of residents as required;
- Review medication cards for completeness of information, accuracy in the transcription of the physician’s order, and adherence to stop orders;
- Review the resident’s chart for specific treatments, medication orders, diet, etc., as necessary;
- Complete accident/incident reports as necessary. Document appropriately in the resident record following established procedures;
- Provides direct resident care as needed;
- Complete and file required record keeping forms/charts upon the resident’s admission, transfer, and/or discharge;
- Assure that effective quality nursing care is delivered which is outcome focused through utilization of the nursing process;
- Deliver and maintain optimum resident care and comfort by demonstrating knowledge and skills of current nursing practices;
- Work in collaboration with physician and/or other health care professionals by sharing information relevant to changing plan of care;
- Aiding in the admission of new residents, including the development of care plans to ensure that all medical, health and wellness needs are met;
- Ensuring availability of all equipment, supplies, medications, and records necessary for effective operations;
- Coordinating activities and personnel during emergencies;
- Conducting ongoing nursing unit rounds to review work in progress, evaluate resident care and handle routine medical needs;
- Initiating IV therapy and administers all IV drugs ordered.
- Maintains confidentiality of all proprietary and/or confidential information;
- Must perform proficiently in all competency areas including but not limited to: patient rights, and safety and sanitation;
- Must have the ability to implement and interpret the programs, goals, objectives, policies, and procedures of the department;
- Must understand and follow company policies including harassment and compliance procedures;
- Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action;
- Must possess an associate’s or bachelor’s degree in nursing from an accredited college or university;
- Graduate of an approved school of nursing is required;
- 2 years or more experience as an RN Supervisor in a Skilled Nursing Facility required;
- Previous experience in nursing education and/or in-service training preferred;
- Background check with no history of abuse;
- Ability to relate well to geriatric residents; respectful and caring attitude towards residents required;
- Current RN License in state of California;
- Possession of a, RN State license and current registration to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse (RN) required;
- Ability required to supervise departmental staff effectively and ensure high standards of care are maintained;
- Ability to utilize creative problem-solving, and handle problems diplomatically required.