The Tax Counsel I is responsible for developing tax saving plans and preparing legal documents involving liabilities. Acts as organization’s representation in dealing with local, state, and federal taxing agencies. Being a Tax Counsel I requires a Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school and may require admittance to a state bar. Offers counsel on the impact of tax laws and preparation of tax activities. In addition, Tax Counsel I typically reports to a manager or head of a unit/department. Being a Tax Counsel I work is closely managed. Works on projects/matters of limited complexity in a support role. Working as a Tax Counsel I typically requires 0-2 years of related experience.
Tax Counsel Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Tax Counsel to join our team.
- Manage and collaborate with outside tax and legal advisors;
- Other duties and special projects as assigned;
- Assist in preparation of submissions to tax authorities and development/maintenance of FIN 48 support;
- Develop and lead presentations, discussions, and explanations of complex tax concepts and issues with senior leadership.
- Decisive with ability to independently evaluate facts and circumstances to determine and convey conclusions;
- Working knowledge of international tax principals, including inbound/outbound, subpart F and FTC regime;
- Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends as project deadlines dictate;
- Strong knowledge of Subchapter C, including M&A, and consolidated return rules; working knowledge of Subchapter K;
- Solid understanding of financial accounting concepts and business acumen;
- Excellent organizational skills to compile, manage and store large data sets in a manner that facilitates ready access, analysis, and comprehension;
- Self-starter with ability to identify and resolve issues with limited input from senior team members or outside advisors;
- M&A experience, including buy and sell-side diligence, and fluency with tax indemnities and reps & warranties;
- Minimum ten (10) years of related experience required with five (5) years in law firm or Big 4 accounting firm;
- Proven ability to effectively juggle/manage multiple projects in time-constrained environment and high pressure situations.