Chief of Staff plans and directs all administrative, financial, and operational activities for the organization’s President, CEO or other executive. Organizes and prioritizes critical issues and required information for the executive to facilitate efficient decision making. Being a Chief of Staff acts as a point of contact or gatekeeper between top management and other stakeholders. Provides oversight and guidance to projects of high importance. Additionally, Chief of Staff may act as an advisor to the chief executive. May be responsible for the management of executive support staff. Requires a bachelor’s degree. Typically reports to CEO or executive. The Chief of Staff manages a departmental function within a broader corporate function. Develops major goals to support broad functional objectives. Approves policies developed within various sub-functions and departments. Comprehensive knowledge of the overall departmental function. To be a Chief of Staff typically requires 8+ years of managerial experience.
Chief of Staff Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Chief of Staff to join our team.
- Manage and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously;
- Manage team-wide and executive communications;
- Manage and ensure appropriate and timely follow up on internal and external requests for information or action;
- Ensure all upcoming meetings are relevant, well structured, and that the preparation is complete and correct;
- Brings together multiple stakeholders to drive decisions;
- Other duties as assigned;
- Act as a sounding board for new ideas and initiatives;
- Act as an extension of the CEO on strategic projects;
- Take part in outside company sponsored events;
- Create high quality presentations for the Board of Directors and other audiences;
- Attending meetings and calls on behalf of the CEO when necessary;
- Hold senior staff accountable and move projects and change forward. Champion business priorities from conception to completion;
- Implement – 401k, Health Care options, PTO polices;
- Serve as confidante / sounding board to CEO;
- Add efficiency to the executive team.
- Proven success in project coordination, team communication, and reporting;
- Transformation Architect;
- Transformation will be in Agile- itself (Kanban);
- Passion for financial inclusion;
- 3+ years experience managing and/or running complex new, ambitious, and sometimes ambiguous projects;
- Demonstrated competency in understanding and effectively communicating complex policy issues;
- Knowledge of strategic management concepts, business practices, and principles;
- Coordinates multiple tasks, works efficiently, and meets deadlines;
- Master’s degree in higher education administration, education, business, or a related field;
- Experience must include prior oversight of a small department or cross-disciplinary team;
- Work well independently and in a team environment;
- You are a strong, confident, and exacting writer and speaker;
- You are a self-starter, able to run with projects with (at times) minimal direction;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Analytical skills to make sound judgments and be accountable for decisions in a variety of complex circumstances and subjects.