Public relations (PR) directors manage communications campaigns and strategy for their organisation or clients.
Director of Communications Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Director of Communications to join our team.
- Measure the effectiveness of all marketing initiatives and collaborate accordingly;
- Create and maintain robust libraries of donor and grantee stories, photos, videos and press releases;
- Manage and mentor department staff to integrate efforts on communications programs;
- Assist in the initial stage of the hiring process of new department staff;
- Accountable for developing that Communication Vision into an effective and streamlined work process and then communicating that process;
- Approve timesheets, expense reports and check requests, as required;
- Engaging and maintaining relationships with communications professionals around the University and nearby academic communities;
- Serving as a member of the Center’s leadership team, helping to make decisions about processes, staffing, and other management issues as they arise;
- Plan and oversee set press visits;
- Collaborates with in house graphic designer to produce marketing and fundraising collateral;
- Conduct media briefings and media conference calls featuring FDD experts;
- Develop and execute annual communications plan which includes donor relations, advocacy, digital and regional strategies;
- Write and edit press releases, op-eds, and other communications materials;
- Other duties as assigned;
- Produce scripts, editorials, run of shows and messaging platforms when necessary.
- Can work additional hours beyond regular business hours;
- Highly organized, creative and self-motivated with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously;
- Knowledge of the DuPage County community and philanthropic landscape a plus;
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience with demonstrated success in designing and implementing communications strategies and campaigns;
- Exceptional writer and experience distilling highly complex and nuanced ideas into digestible, compelling content for a variety of audiences;
- Results oriented, enthusiastic, resourceful, and creative with a can-do positive attitude;
- Ability to build strong working relationships with faculty, staff, members of the media, and the general public;
- Knack for translating complex topics into compelling, digestible stories;
- Prior experience in an educational environment strongly desired;
- Exhibits ample evidence of strong writing, editing and interpersonal skills;
- Uncanny ability to connect the dots across multiple initiatives;
- Can give feedback thoughtfully and receive it gracefully;
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team, know when to act independently and when to consult for advice on decision-making;
- Exceptional ability to write and communicate clearly and concisely;
- Strong computer skills with familiarity with Mac OS, Microsoft Office, email clients, Internet research, and social networking tools.