The Software Development Director establishes policies and procedures that produce high-quality software product and service. Directs and oversees the software engineering function in developing, releasing, and maintaining software applications/operating systems according to business needs. Being a Software Development Director typically reports to top management. Requires a bachelor’s degree. The Software Development Director manages a departmental sub-function within a broader departmental function. Creates functional strategies and specific objectives for the sub-function and develops budgets/policies/procedures to support the functional infrastructure. Deep knowledge of the managed sub-function and solid knowledge of the overall departmental function. Working as a Software Development Director typically requires 5+ years of managerial experience.
Director of Software Development Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Director of Software Development to join our team.
- Manage team of software developers, including senior level;
- Consults with management regarding project specifics and determine requirements, boundaries and priorities;
- Provide effective employee performance management utilizing SMART goals, constructive feedback and coaching for improvement;
- Provide training and presentations;
- Collaborate with product vendors, architects, and business units to translate business requests into work items for the development teams to implement;
- Author and update internal and external policies and procedures;
- Work with project managers, product owners, and technical leads to influence scope and priorities for product development;
- Effectively manage vendors to maximize value;
- Maintain an excellent understanding of the business long term goals and strategy and ensures that designs are aligned with these;
- Serve as mentor and coach to technical delivery staff;
- Inspire and motivate the development teams to deliver innovative and exciting solutions with an appropriate sense of urgency;
- Promote knowledge sharing across product-development teams;
- Provide courteous, responsive service;
- Assume a leadership role in ensuring on-time, high-quality delivery of products through the entire application life cycle;
- Ensure a culture of design excellence, maturity, quality, collaboration, planning, and responsiveness in the software engineering team.
- Strong people management skills, proven success in recruiting, creating and motivating a strong performing engineering team;
- Understanding of cloud based development methodologies and state of the art design patterns;
- Proficient with software development lifecycle (SDLC) methodologies like Agile, Test- driven development;
- 4+ years of engineering leadership experience – managing multiple teams and/or locations;
- Insurance industry systems experience;
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or similar field;
- A positive attitude with a service delivery mentality;
- Ability to work independently and supervise a diverse staff;
- Experience with Agile software development;
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and strong technical knowledge;
- Imaging system experience (preferably OnBase);
- Ability to coach/mentor IT staff members to function as a highly effective team;
- Business Objects, Crystal Reports, PowerBI or SQL experience;
- Enthusiasm for investigating and implementing new software tools/applications (off the shelf and internally developed);
- Microsoft Office Suite experience.