Managing editors typically work for magazines, newspaper publishers, and television broadcasters and are responsible for the daily operations of a news department.
Managing Editor Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Managing Editor to join our team.
- Demonstrate ability to set priorities while handling multiple projects and to delegate work appropriately;
- Leads, motivates, and develops the writing team as well as writer contractors;
- Project professional, positive attitude toward all Agency members;
- Hire freelance editorial staff when necessary to meet deadlines;
- Develop knowledge of Client’s process/procedures for all submissions;
- Ensure each job is reviewed at each stage according to Agency Job Flow Procedures;
- Crafts clear and engaging copy across a variety of media for a range of clients;
- In-depth knowledge of assigned product brands and brands of his/her editorial team;
- Edit all layouts for agreement with latest manuscript or with approved copy from Client;
- Understands that copy does not exist in a vacuum;
- Reviewing all content and copy before it is in production to ensure material is accurate and on-brand;
- Monitor, review and approve staff time sheets;
- Edit all manuscripts for grammar, punctuation, spelling, AMA style, Client style etc;
- Stays up-to-date on trends to ensure the freshest concepts and approaches;
- Keep Copywriters, Project Coordinators, Art Directors, and Account Services team members informed of any significant editorial issues on any job.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to demonstrate big picture strategic thinking;
- 2–4 years of experience managing social media/web for a brand;
- Must be able to identify errors, correct them, and contribute content to meet our quality standards;
- Excellent computer skills (e-mailing, Internet research, and Office Suite), as well as exceptional written-communication skills;
- Must have a college degree in a related field;
- Experience working with CMS/ digital publishing platforms (such as Sitefinity, WordPress, Drupal, Brightspot, Arc, etc.);
- Proven editorial skills including strong language skills and the ability to adjust content to remain consistent with brand, style, and tone;
- Put people at the top of priority list – serving our audiences and members, and growing our staff and freelancer capabilities;
- College/culinary degree is preferred. Magazine, digital media, and food science work experience is preferred, and food-styling experience is a plus;
- Be one step ahead of trends and news impacting the industry and its adjacencies;
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in a related field, or equivalent knowledge;
- Experience with web-based peer review systems, ScholarOne Manuscripts preferred;
- Ability to identify trends and adjust strategy using analytical and quantitative problem solving;
- Commitment to the mission of public service media.