The Proposal Writer prepares contract proposals in accordance with business goals and objectives, administers major contracts, documents. Develops resources, researches funding sources, and writes proposals to a variety of organizations. Being a Proposal Writer may negotiate contractual provisions with potential partners. Assists in monitoring proposal process, ensures funder’s policies and legal requirements are followed. In addition, Proposal Writer requires a bachelor’s degree. Typically reports to a manager or head of a unit/department. Being a Proposal Writer gains exposure to some of the complex tasks within the job function. Occasionally directed in several aspects of the work. Working as a Proposal Writer typically requires 2 to 4 years of related experience.
Proposal Writer Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Proposal Writer to join our team.
- Manage updates and revisions to technical literature;
- Provides volume status updates to Sales leadership;
- Conducts interviews with SMEs/SAs to translate solution ideas into colloquial terms in the written response;
- Participates in pursuit strategy and solution design meetings to understand solution direction, strengths, and key solution components;
- Revises and edits drafts to meet set standards, including consistency of messaging, alignment to capture plan objectives, and client focus;
- Conducts research for areas of technical unfamiliarity;
- Under the direction of the Proposal Manager, writing responses to RFIs and Corporate Capability Statements;
- Establishing and maintaining all electronic proposal files;
- Design, develop and implement short and long-range plans designed to highlight Bird’s government strategy and market-specific initiatives;
- Rewriting non-compliant or lacking proposal sections and related proposal documents;
- Developing production checklists (i.e., binding and shipping materials, delivery method, delivery receipts, etc.);
- Developing compliant resume templates to ensure that formatted resumes address all personnel requirements;
- Gather, analyze, and synthesize large amounts of information quickly and accurately;
- Formatting source (“street”) resumes per template requirements;
- Create and prepare memoranda, reports as well as other internal and external facing documents.
- APMP membership or certification;
- Proposal writing experience within a civil engineering firm;
- Able to write in both explanatory and procedural styles;
- Must have the ability to work flexible hours to meet deadlines;
- Experience as a Volume Lead or Lead Technical/Management Writer;
- Experience with SharePoint;
- Collaborate with company subject matter experts to develop proposal response solutions, win themes, storyboards, and initial outline;
- High initiative and willingness to take on new challenges;
- Experience working in an office environment, writing/copy editing/production of publications;
- Ability to hear and, most importantly, seek feedback;
- 3+ years working within government, transportation, public interest groups, technology industry groups or corporations;
- Prepare presentation by evaluating text, graphics, and binding; coordinating printing;
- Meet proposal deadlines by establishing priorities and target dates for information gathering, writing, review, and approval;
- Proficient in MS office tools – Excel, word, PowerPoint;
- Obtain approvals by reviewing the proposal with key providers and project managers.