Technical Illustrator creates pictorial illustrations for use in technical manuals, product specifications, maintenance documents, advertisements, and other media. Utilizes a variety of graphic files, photo images, and sketches to create illustrations. Being a Technical Illustrator produces 3-D, cutaway, or exploded views of objects. Familiar and proficient with graphic illustration software like Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Canvas, Corel Draw and AutoCAD. Additionally, Technical Illustrator typically requires an associate degree. Typically reports to a manager or head of a unit/department. The Technical Illustrator has gained proficiency in multiple competencies relevant to the job. Works independently within established procedures associated with the specific job function. To be a Technical Illustrator typically requires 3-5 years of related experience.
Technical Illustrator Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Technical Illustrator to join our team.
- Be responsible for the information exchange between the teams, maintaining a common look and feel to all illustrations produced;
- Refine designs with illustration software;
- Brainstorm with the design team to come up with new ideas, patterns and styles;
- Format images using computer-aided design (CAD) software;
- Participate in the validation process of illustrations;
- Participate in design briefs with clients, editors and/or marketers to identify their needs;
- Generate illustrations from photographs;
- Use various colors, graphics and effects to better visualize each concept;
- Participate in technical meetings with the members of the project;
- Combine hand-drawing and painting with digital media to create complete illustrations;
- Create complex graphics, charts, two and three-dimensional drawings for use in technical documents and publications;
- Prepare rough drafts according to requirements;
- Stay up to date with new design techniques and software;
- Apply isometric techniques to add perspective to complex shapes;
- Support the development of technical writing content that will be utilized by our front-line teams.
- Demonstrable portfolio of completed illustrations;
- Solid knowledge of image editing and digital sketching software, like Photoshop, Indesign and Adobe Illustrator;
- Minimum 2 years of experience as a technical illustrator;
- Proven work experience as an Illustrator, Graphic Designer or similar role;
- Experience in a Maintenance Repair and Overhaul (MRO) organization;
- Ability to multi-task and manage workload to achieve project deliverable deadlines;
- Drawing skills with an attention to detail (both by hand and digital pen);
- Strong aesthetic and conceptual skills;
- Ability to visualize 3D perspective from 2D drawings;
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing environment with minimal guidance; a self-starter with the ability to build relationships across the company;
- Proficient with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
- Ability to collaborate and meet deadlines;
- Proficiency in Adobe software, especially Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign;
- Experience using Dozuki work instruction software;
- Proficient in CATIA v5, Solidworks, Keyshot, Blender.