The Junior Accountant ensures the accuracy of entries to ledger accounts and reconciles subsidiary ledger accounts to the general ledger. Assists in maintaining financial records and ensuring that financial transactions are properly recorded. Being a Junior Accountant assists in analyzing current costs, revenues, financial commitments, and obligations incurred to predict future revenues and expenses. Compiles financial data to aid more senior accountants in the preparation of balance sheets, profit and loss statements and other financial reports. In addition, Junior Accountant requires a bachelor’s degree. May require eligibility to sit for CPA exam. Typically reports to a supervisor or manager. Being a Junior Accountant works on projects/matters of limited complexity in a support role. Work is closely managed. Working as a Junior Accountant typically requires 0-2 years of related experience.
Junior Accountant Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Junior Accountant to join our team.
- Provide ad-hoc and recurring analysis and reporting;
- Assist in preparation and posting of month end entries;
- Review and process expense reports for headquarters;
- Upload ACH files to bank for approval;
- Receive, review and process vendor, consultant and subcontractor invoices;
- Run and monitor accounts receivable aging and escalate billing issues as needed;
- Assist Accounting Team during month end close process;
- Assist with reconciliations;
- Process expense reports;
- Interact with other departments;
- Maintain general ledger accounts and accurate reconciliation;
- Track and report on key operational performance metrics;
- Assist with journal entry preparation and eventual run with the process on your own;
- Report financial results to the financial controller and other management;
- Work closely with the customer service and accounts payable team to track and report activities for outside storage, freight, A/R, others as required.
- Experience with government contract accounting and payments;
- Should be a CPA or CPA candidate;
- Thorough understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP);
- 3 – 5 years’ experience in public accounting;
- GPA of at least 3.0 with a BBA;
- Ability to be pro-active with a sense of urgency;
- A self-starter with a high degree of energy and careful attention to detail. Strong sense of initiative and a process-improvement mindset;
- Utilizes analytical skills and demonstrates a broad understanding of the organization;
- Experience with an ERP system, Microsoft Dynamics is a plus;
- Experienced in financial auditing;
- Assisting with the production of monthly management accounts;
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance;
- Produce monthly management accounts and cash flow forecasts;
- Exhibits good judgment, a high-level of professionalism, and discretion;
- Display a positive and pro-active attitude, be a strong communicator via email and over the phone with internal and external contacts.