Heavy Equipment Operator operates heavy machinery, such as a tractor, bulldozer, backhoe, or excavator, for the purposes of construction, demolition, or excavation. May be responsible for routine maintenance or repairs. Being a Heavy Equipment Operator may need state licensing. May require a high school diploma or its equivalent. Additionally, Heavy Equipment Operator typically reports to a supervisor. The Heavy Equipment Operator has gained proficiency in multiple competencies relevant to the job. Works independently within established procedures associated with the specific job function. To be a Heavy Equipment Operator typically requires 3-5 years of related experience, or may have 2 years experience plus an associates degree, or additional training or certification.
Heavy Equipment Operator Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Heavy Equipment Operator to join our team.
- Level surface to specified grade-Observe grade stakes, or other markings when operating machines so that work can be performed to specifications;
- Operates equipment at the required production pace while observing reference stakes or hand signals of assisting workers;
- Performs daily maintenance on loader before each shift;
- Ability to maintain the initiative to maintain the flow of work under minimal supervision;
- Maintains safety as top priority in accordance with all company safety rules and regulations;
- Drives bulldozer in successive passes over terrain to raise or lower terrain to specified grade following markings on grade stakes or hand signals;
- Responsible of demolition of bridges and other structures with excavators and hydraulic hoe rams;
- Moves and positions raw materials and finished components with use of material moving equipment;
- Discusses alternatives to help increase safety and productivity;
- Works with crew to meet the daily work schedule, goals and daily task;
- Maintains minimum stocking level of supplies, and tools for equipment repair and crew safety;
- Operates heavy equipment to load outbound trucks with materials;
- Possess sound understanding of issues involved during ground disturbance;
- Advising the line manager of requisite upgrades, repairs, and replacements;
- Directs truck drivers and maintenance team as needed in parking and organizing storage trailers.
- Manage to handle emergency situations, work pressure and stress;
- Can work independently with minimum supervision;
- Ability to understand and follow verbal communication and written instructions;
- Excellent customer service skills;
- Business Travel Accident Insurance;
- Optional Long-Term Disability;
- 401(k) with Company matching;
- Minimum of one year of experience in construction, oil and gas or related industry preferred;
- Health Care Reimbursement Account;
- Must be able to grade to within .10 ft of final grade;
- Follow Basic Machine Maintenance;
- Pay is determined by experience;
- Must have own transportation.