Middleware Engineer performs design and configuration of middleware infrastructure and platforms. Provides coherent distributed middleware that connects software components and applications. Being a Middleware Engineer interacts with development team and analyzes requirements to implement middleware architecture. Typically requires a bachelor’s degree. Additionally, Middleware Engineer typically reports to a Manager. The Middleware Engineer works on advanced, complex technical projects or business issues requiring state of the art technical or industry knowledge. Works autonomously. Goals are generally communicated in solution or project goal terms. May provide a leadership role for the work group through knowledge in the area of specialization. To be a Middleware Engineer typically requires 10+ years of related experience.
Middleware Engineer Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Middleware Engineer to join our team.
- Benchmarking, tuning, and functional testing of Company applications in support of upgrades and platform migrations;
- Documenting applicaton settings and configuration parameters necessary for Company applications to perform reliably and effectively;
- Implementing changes and improvements to Company business services through a mix of application Middleware configuration and engineering activities;
- Designing and managing highly available, scalable, secured, distributed Web and Middleware hosting solutions;
- Maintain expert-level knowledge of current technologies and methodologies; contribute as a visible thought leader;
- Participate in 24/7 support by acting as an escalation point for any production issues;
- Actively participates in project meetings and provides input to design and implementation of middleware solutions;
- Contribute to internal R&D initiatives; help drive innovative solutions to broaden the technical capabilities of the department;
- Identify issues and project business requirements and develop solutions to them;
- Expert knowledge of Apache Web Server, Java EE and IIS Technologies;
- Lead technical quality of the team’s solutions delivery; communicate decisions and rationales at a detailed level to both client and internal teams;
- Assist project teams in scoping, design, and project work estimations;
- Collaborate with Cyber Security and identify solutions for remediation of vulnerabilities in the web and middleware infrastructure;
- Keep abreast of and gain expertise in the evolving technology and understand how new technologies could be applied;
- Stay current with trends and incorporate emerging technology to benefit the platform for on premise and cloud solutions.
- Superior knowledge in JDBC and ODBC database clients and configuration such as jConnect and OpenClient for ASE;
- Proven success in Middleware Developer/Engineer and/or DevOps positions;
- Able to read and translate technical release notes into project tasks and dependencies for upgrade and migration efforts;
- Hands-on experience in application server migration and upgrade projects specifically JBoss EAP, Tomcat, and Apache;
- A working knowledge of version control and software repository systems and tools specifically Subversion, Tortoise, and Nexus;
- Expert knowledge of Scripting languages such as Perl, bash, sh, and csh;
- A working knowledge of Middleware support and engineering in a RHEL environment including RPM packaging and release management;
- Expert in technical concepts such as connection pooling, caching, transaction management, and threading;
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field;
- Expert working knowledge of JBoss EAP, Tomcat, JVM, and Apache configuration and integration;
- 8-10 years of Middleware Engineering experience.