The Financial Controller establishes and maintains the organization’s overall accounting systems, procedures, and policies. Leads and directs an organization’s accounting functions. Being a Financial Controller presents findings and recommendations to management. Directs all analysis and reporting of financial information including budgets, planning, and required filings and reports. In addition, Financial Controller requires a bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance. Typically requires CPA.Typically reports to Chief Financial Officer (CFO). The Financial Controller manages a business unit, division, or corporate function with major organizational impact. Establishes overall direction and strategic initiatives for the given major function or line of business. Has acquired the business acumen and leadership experience to become a top function or division head.
Financial Controller Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Financial Controller to join our team.
- Acts as integral member of the Accounting group, in support of the defined Accounting and TSST mission, vision, values, and goals;
- Ensures compliance with all applicable laws, rules, and regulations;
- Facilitate the integration of financial reporting into the Trelleborg Group;
- Improving the systems surrounding all aspects of the business’s forecasts and business planning;
- Maintain a register of appropriate insurance policies for the business;
- Continuously improve accounting, reporting, cash management, and financial planning systems, processes, and policies;
- Maintain stock ownership records and manage 409A stock valuations;
- Oversee all AP/AR including invoicing, billing, and collections;
- Assist with board presentations, investor communication, and fundraising as necessary;
- Provide accounting and finance guidance in the exploration of new business initiatives, incl. expansion into new verticals and distribution channels;
- Manage all new hire payroll documentation, healthcare, benefits and 401K enrollment;
- Recommend benchmarks for measuring the financial and operating performance;
- Oversee daily operations of finance and accounting for the company;
- Work with outside accounting resources to conduct all bookkeeping and payroll activities;
- Develop company financial forecasts and manage cash flow.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Accounting or Finance;
- Must currently be in a Controller role at least 3 years;
- Strong understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP);
- Excellent technical accounting and financial modeling background;
- CPA or CMA preferred;
- At least 5 years experience with managing and scaling an accounting and/or FP&A team;
- BS/MS in Finance, Accounting, Statistics, Economics or related field;
- Mastery of Excel / Google Sheets;
- CPA with public accounting experience (Big 4 is a plus);
- Candidate will be thoroughly screened and a very robust background check will be performed;
- 5+ years of overall combined accounting and finance experience;
- 4+ years proven work experience in a similar operational finance/accounting role within a company;
- A forward-thinking, creative, and intellectually curious mindset that can accelerate the team’s potential;
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year-end close process.