Produce Clerk is responsible for assisting customers in the produce department of a grocery store. Answers questions and helps patrons find requested produce items. Being a Produce Clerk prepares items for display, ensures that display cases are adequately stocked and ensures freshness of produce. Handles produce items in a safe manner and ensures that the department is always clean and neat. Additionally, Produce Clerk may require a high school diploma or its equivalent. Typically reports to a supervisor or manager. The Produce Clerk may require 0-1 year of general work experience. Possesses a moderate understanding of general aspects of the job. Works under the close direction of senior personnel in the functional area.
Produce Clerk Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Produce Clerk to join our team.
- This position is applicable to the following departments: Meat, Seafood, Bakery, Deli, Grocery;
- reach with hands and arms;
- Close vision, have eye-hand coordination and peripheral vision;
- Stoop or bend at the waist;
- Performing routine price changes on products;
- Use judgment to solve customer problems;
- Assisting in other duties, as assigned;
- Verifying ads, hanging current sale signs, and removing out-of-date sale signs. Ensuring signs match proper Country of Origin Labeling compliance;
- Maintains scheduling commitments;
- Process payments by totaling purchases; process checks, cash, and store or other credit cards;
- Compare invoices with product received;
- Display produce and other products;
- Unloading product from trucks;
- Inventory stocking including breaking down pallets, separating produce for sales floor, cooler and/or back room prep area.
- You are detail-oriented and organized;
- You possess good listening and communication skills;
- Good oral and written communication skills and the ability to handle a diverse crew in a highly stressful environment;
- Reporting any shortages and spoiled or damaged product to the Produce Manager;
- Ability to prioritize tasks based on customer and business needs;
- Ability to complete assigned tasks without direct supervision in a timely manner;
- Ability to follow directions from the Produce Manager;
- Unload the product from the delivery trucks;
- Experience working in a stockroom position or similar role;
- Should have no limitations with regards to lifting (up to 50 lbs), bending, squatting, kneeling, walking, continuous standing and exposure to cold;
- able to deliver friendly, courteous, prompt customer service;
- Excellent verbal skills;
- Ability to lift 40 lbs and stand for extended amount of time;
- 18 years of age or older (to use sharp knives, ladders, or equipment.);
- able to interpret, understand and follow instructions and solve problems.