The Certified Phlebotomist may prick finger to draw blood. Draws and collects blood samples from patients, verifies records and prepares specimens for laboratory analysis. Being a Certified Phlebotomist requires a high school diploma and/or certification by a nationally recognized body. May conduct interviews, take vital signs, and draw and test blood samples to screen donors at blood bank. In addition, Certified Phlebotomist has knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field. Typically reports to a supervisor or manager. Certified Phlebotomist’s years of experience requirement may be unspecified. Certification and/or licensing in the position’s specialty is the main requirement.
Certified Phlebotomist Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Certified Phlebotomist to join our team.
- All Novant Health team members are responsible for fostering a safe patient environment driven by the principles of “First Do No Harm”;
- Our team members are part of an environment that fosters team work, team member engagement and community involvement;
- The successful team member has a commitment to leveraging diversity and inclusion in support of quality care;
- Collects therapeutic drug-monitoring assays by collaborating with nursing personnel to ensure appropriate drug dose to collection time;
- Maintains specimen integrity by using aseptic technique, following department procedures; observing isolation procedures;
- Obtains blood specimens by performing venipunctures and fingersticks;
- Verifies test requisitions by comparing information with nursing station log; bringing discrepancies to the attention of unit personnel;
- Monitors glucose levels by performing bedside glucose tests; recording results; reporting results to unit nurse-manager;
- Performs bleeding-times tests by entering results to the computer; notifying pathologist of results falling outside normal ranges;
- Maintains safe, secure, and healthy work environment by following standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations;
- Tracks collected specimens by initialling, dating, and noting times of collection; maintaining daily tallies of collections performed;
- Verifies patient by reading patient identification.
- Computer knowledge;
- Must have OB/pediatrics/adult experience;
- Certified Phlebotomist.