Design Manager manages a team of designers and drafters that use computer aided design (CAD) for products. Ensures the drawings and designs are completed on time and adhere to the established specifications and standards. Being a Design Manager may prepare project schedules, bids, or proposals. Requires a bachelor’s degree in area of specialty. Additionally, Design Manager typically reports to a head of a unit/department. The Design Manager manages subordinate staff in the day-to-day performance of their jobs. True first level manager. Ensures that project/department milestones/goals are met and adhering to approved budgets. Has full authority for personnel actions. Extensive knowledge of department processes. To be a Design Manager typically requires 5 years experience in the related area as an individual contributor. 1 to 3 years supervisory experience may be required.
Design Manager Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Design Manager to join our team.
- Leading collaboration internally with technical teams, project managers, cost managers, and purchasing agents;
- Successfully deliver design on budget, on schedule, compliant with program standards;
- Lead, review and manage third party Interior Design Consultants through Schematics, Design Development and Installation of Amenities’ Spaces;
- Develops a company-wide unified file structure and storage location/protocol to help maintain/improve drawing availability and integrity;
- Presents the design to stakeholders during early project phases. Develops building design in accordance with cost parameters;
- Visits project sites to monitor progress and conformance to company established standards;
- Responsible for projects of medium complexity/size;
- Communicate to the Vice President, Managing Director/Senior Managing Director any critical issues;
- Create and execute a low cost sourcing plan to align with budget and strategic business objectives;
- Prepares, reviews, and processes shop drawings, and maintains as-built drawings;
- Develops 3D models for one-off pieces of equipment;
- Assist with final deliverables, ensuring the quality of the final output and seek feedback post initiative;
- Develops training material and builds 2D and 3D design capability within the organization;
- Other duties as assigned;
- Maintain knowledge of Design trends and innovative products, and conduct market research and tour pertinent local comps.
- Adept in designing for complex business needs and various buyer personas;
- Bonus if you have experience with project or program management;
- Experience in mentoring career growth and providing constructive feedback;
- 2-5+ years of experience managing a design team;
- Bonus if you have experience working with high-performance marketing teams;
- Expert command of industry-standard design tools (e.g. Adobe Suite, Sketch, InVision, etc.);
- Experience planning and conducting design workshops with diverse stakeholders;
- Knowledge and expertise across multiple spectrums of large scale business operations, preferably in the Utility Sector;
- 5 years of this experience must be with the design, planning and construction of educational facilities or similar public agencies;
- Understanding of component-based design systems that can be applied at scale;
- Design experience for beauty brands;
- Must have excellent presentation skills and be able to influence when needed;
- Minimum of 8-10 years experience as a graphic package designer. Consumer Product Goods (CPG) experience is a plus but not necessary;
- Must have an outstanding portfolio with a wide range of multi-platform designs;
- Must have a Bachelors degree in Graphic Design or Visual Communication.