Design engineers improve product performance and efficiency while researching and developing new manufacturing ideas and systems.
Research Engineer Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Research Engineer to join our team.
- Maintain accurate program-wide and R&D project (pre- and post-award) related metrics and data;
- Research and incorporate R&D best practices and methodologies from STIs and lessons learned derived from other research projects;
- Provide technical expertise in reviewing and developing technical specifications based on intended research outcome;
- Develop and apply innovative tools and methodologies to collect, analyze, synthesize, and gain insights from existing research data;
- Track R&D requirements from inception through contract award and ensure each milestone is met in a timely manner for all requirements;
- Adding collection from new social media APIs and web scraping with Selenium where necessary;
- Maintain existing data collection pipelines using Python, Selenium, and Postgres;
- Standing up a NoSQL document store to clone from our primary database to serve text-focused queries;
- Building integrated solutions that apply our technology towards specific product verticals;
- Basic database maintenance – adding new tables/fields as required, monitoring backups as required;
- Provide software development support to Researchers and assist with code and idea development.
- Knowledge of approximation and optimization methods;
- To qualify for the Research Engineer I level: Bachelor’s degree plus one year of experience is required;
- Experience in a research environment;
- This position may require travel of up to one week per month;
- Knowledge and experience in the field of power electronics and grid tied power converters;
- Experience working with electric power systems (e.g. building and equipment electrical system design, power system analysis and simulation);
- Experience working with internal combustion, fuel-cell, or electric vehicles, vehicle system retrofits, and vehicle CAN bus messaging;
- Experience with FPGA and microcontroller coding and embedded system design;
- Graduate degree in math, stats, operations research, computer science, or similar;
- Experience with 3D CAD design of mechanical systems and thermal modeling and simulation;
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple job tasks under strict deadlines;
- Programming ability in Python and experience writing computational code;
- Experience with circuit simulation and PCB design tools (e.g. LTSpice, Altium, Matlab, PLECS);
- Strong oral and written English communications skills and an ability to work within a team environment and oversee engineering design and testing;
- Knowledge of safety standards and requirements in electrical laboratory environments.