Materials engineers research the behaviour of materials used in industry to make them stronger, lighter and more hard-wearing.
Materials Engineer Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Materials Engineer to join our team.
- Support the daily operation of the Materials Science Laboratory;
- Prepare technical reports and presentations to report results and findings;
- Coordinate both internal and external resources and partners related to materials evaluation;
- Transfer of process knowledge to internal and external customers;
- Plan and carry out project responsibilities with assistance and direction from project leaders and management;
- The engineer reports to a Manager and receives direction in the form of specific project objectives;
- Key member for customer implementation, scale-up and development;
- Communicate and document project plans and results to key customers;
- Generate test data sets with statistically relevant quantification;
- Develop methods for product plating in-house for adaptation at customer sites;
- Define and optimize process flow for specific plating applications;
- Assess and remediate failures in plated parts and associated processing steps;
- Electroplate customer test parts reproducibly in both lab scale and production settings;
- Develop knowledge and skills to be recognized as an effective implementer of research principles, scientific analysis, and project management;
- Document processes.
- Masters or PhD degree in metallurgical, materials, or corrosion engineering from an accredited university (required);
- 5+ years continuous employment as a practicing metallurgical or corrosion engineer (preferred);
- Registered professional engineer (PE) or the ability to become registered (required);
- Strong customer facing communication skills in technical and business settings is highly encouraged;
- A demonstrated ability to work independently or as part of a team to complete projects within required timeframes;
- Customer facing experience a plus;
- Electroplating experience a plus;
- BS degree in Material Science, Chemistry, or related field;
- Wet chemistry handling and safe working practices;
- 1-year laboratory experience (previous employment or co-op);
- Experience and expertise with Kimberly-Clark products, procedures, and processes;
- Ability to translate tangible concepts into streamlined process flow;
- Capable of multi-tasking while working in teams or as an individual contributor;
- Successfully navigate project objectives while attending to detail;
- Knowledge of inorganic chemistry and elemental analysis (SEM/EDS/XRF).