The Linux Systems Administrator analyzes and resolves problems associated with the operating system’s servers, hardware, applications, and software. Installs, configures, and maintains Linux operating systems. Being a Linux Systems Administrator may require a bachelor’s degree in a related area. Monitors systems performance and ensures compliance with security standards. In addition, Linux Systems Administrator may also require a Linux certification such as Red Hat. Typically reports to a project leader or manager. Being a Linux Systems Administrator occasionally directed in several aspects of the work. Gaining exposure to some of the complex tasks within the job function. Working as a Linux Systems Administrator typically requires 2 -4 years of related experience.
Linux Systems Administrator Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Linux Systems Administrator to join our team.
- Good verbal and written communication skills;
- Independently perform complex troubleshooting, root-cause analysis, solution development, and implementation;
- Provide basic Linux OS support: user environments, dotfiles, X/Wayland configs, ssh, routing yum installs/updates;
- Support media management through internal methods and procedures or through offsite storage and retrieval services;
- Provide Tier II troubleshooting support for incidents within one (1) business day after receipt of request during normal business hours;
- Install, operate, and configure systems hardware and software for TCG’s corporate and development infrastructure;
- Assist projects with system administration at client sites;
- Build, install, document, and manage RedHat, Ubuntu, SUSE, and CentOS servers and workstations;
- Communicating effectively to users and IT resources to help understand or effectively troubleshoot issues or requests as they are submitted;
- Planning and scheduling the installation of new or modified hardware andoperating systems and applications software;
- Implementing security procedures and tools;
- Experienced in on-premise and Cloud Linux deployments utilizing tools such as Ansible, Cloud Formation, Terraform, or similar products;
- Maintain monitoring systems and participate in creating new monitoring solutions;
- Support CentOS/ZFS servers, SMB/NFS shares and storage infrastructure; support High Performance Computing environment;
- Collaborating with programmers, technologists, and technicians on deployments and systems performance.
- Extensive experience as a Systems Administrator in a Linux/Unix environment;
- Experience with MongoDB, shell scripting, and Python;
- A minimum of 5 years of Systems Administration experience;
- 2+ years of experience with Atlassian tool suite, including Jira or Confluence;
- Experience with storage platforms and provisioning, including Ceph and NetApp;
- Experience with open source application build and configuration and Cloud-based infrastructure;
- Experience with Ansible, CFengine, Chef, or Puppet a plus;
- Experience with SVN/Git;
- VMware vSphere experience a plus;
- Minimum of 5 years of Linux system administration experience (Ubuntu/Debian preferred);
- Demonstrated ability to work constructively with an organized system administration team;
- Experience with VMWare solutions;
- Flexible to work after hours and participate in on-call rotation;
- Redhat Certification.