Systems Administrator I maintains and supports the integrity of the operating system environment and various computer systems. Administers, installs and troubleshoots a variety of operating systems. Being a Systems Administrator I performs systems maintenance tasks, such as system back-up, recovery and file maintenance. Schedules, installs, and tests system software upgrades. Additionally, Systems Administrator I configures software and resolves technical problems. Monitors and maintains software licensing and maintenance agreements. May require a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent. Typically reports to a project leader or manager. The Systems Administrator I works on projects/matters of limited complexity in a support role. Work is closely managed. To be a Systems Administrator I typically requires 0-2 years of related experience.
Systems Administrator Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Systems Administrator to join our team.
- Initial responsibility will be for desktop support and administration;
- Maintain security, backup, and redundancy strategies for CODIS infrastructure;
- Perform scheduled policy based audit and test on network to ensure compliance;
- Maintain data files and monitor system configuration to ensure data integrity;
- Liaison with external vendors;
- Perform daily network maintenance and operating systems updates of network resources including servers, storage, virtualization, routers and switches;
- Provides support for implementation, troubleshooting, and maintenance of Information Technology (IT) systems;
- Assist in supporting and maintaining the virtualized desktop infrastructure (VDI) using VMWare Horizon;
- Working closely with the IT teams to provide a robust and stable infrastructure on which to build our products;
- Participate in providing internal business support by resolving escalation requests;
- Ensures fluidity in a robust agile process to support software engineers on network enclaves at various classification levels;
- Creating and/or updating asset management records;
- Telecom integrations and migrations;
- Administration of users/groups/privileges within Active Directory;
- Provide documentation for System Administration, as needed.
- Knowledge and understanding of supporting encryption tools;
- Ability to learn and support several GOTS communication products;
- Microsoft Active Directory experience;
- Minimum 3 years experience in a similar role;
- Interpersonal skills;
- Knowledge of SQL databases and queries;
- Red Hat;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Install, configure and maintain various Linux flavors (SUSE, Redhat, CentOS, Scientific Linux, Ubuntu etc.) and associated applications;
- Experience managing backup solutions (Tape/Disk, etc.);
- Professional certification (e.g. Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA)) is a plus;
- Resourcefulness and problem-solving aptitude;
- Experience with infrastructure design, including networking protocols and data redundancy;
- Knowledge of Agile Development Methodologies.