Government Affairs Manager administers and maintains policies and objectives involving local, state, and federal government affairs. Legislatively represents and protects organization interests by working with government, associated authorities and all committees. Being a Government Affairs Manager manages staff who liaise between legislative entities and the organization, leads the communications and interactions, which aligns with corporate business strategies. Monitors legislative and regulatory activities, oversees the implementation of policies that support organizational goals. Additionally, Government Affairs Manager analyzes proposed legislative actions and determines the potential impact on the organization. Requires a bachelor’s degree. Typically reports to a head of a unit/department. The Government Affairs Manager typically manages through subordinate managers and professionals in larger groups of moderate complexity. Provides input to strategic decisions that affect the functional area of responsibility. May give input into developing the budget. Capable of resolving escalated issues arising from operations and requiring coordination with other departments. To be a Government Affairs Manager typically requires 3+ years of managerial experience.
Government Affairs Manager Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Government Affairs Manager to join our team.
- Actively engage all Sales leaders at Geotab to further develop and educate strategic partners and Resellers on GAVDA and data access efforts;
- Actively engage with major Class 8 trucking fleets to provide education on data access issues;
- Work with Geotab’s media relations department and business development to educate the truck and fleet media on data access issues;
- Maintain GAVDA board member seat and support GAVDA efforts;
- Actively engage with large fleet rental businesses, eg. Nationalease, Ryder, Penske and EHI to provide education on data access issues;
- Actively engage with US Coalition, Canada Coalition and EU Coalition on lobbying needs, policy and advocacy around data access;
- Engage with competitors in telematics, IoT companies and partners in order to grow support for GAVDA;
- Conduct research and monitor legislation to track events within the government that could affect the company;
- Maintain regular communication and visits to associations offices in Washington, D.C.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel is required;
- Awareness of current political leadership and government policy trends;
- Bachelor’s Degree required;
- Previous experience and success with stakeholder advocacy and education initiatives;
- Exceptional interpersonal, written and oral communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively and comfortably interact in a small team environment and to multi-task a number of projects at once;
- Strong judgment and decision-making skills, and good political insight;
- Strong lobbying experience;
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution, and relationship management skills;
- Understanding of the legislative process;
- Technical competence using software programs, including, but not limited to, Google Suite for business (Sheets, Docs, Slides), Salesforce;
- Familiar and comfortable engaging with media outlets;
- Exceptional communication skills, including comfort with delivering presentations and training;
- Post-secondary diploma/degree in Government Communications, Public Relations or a related field;
- 2-5 years experience in Government Affairs or closely related position.