Respiratory Therapy Supervisor supervises, organizes, and coordinates the clinical and technical aspects of services rendered to ensure the delivery of quality respiratory therapy treatment. Specific duties may include: counseling staff members about appropriate procedures and policies, performing therapeutic procedures, running quality control tests on all blood gas analyzers, and maintaining equipment. Being a Respiratory Therapy Supervisor is responsible for the administration of oxygen, therapeutic gas, and respiratory medications to patients in accordance with physician orders. Develops, implements, and controls the provision of therapeutic patient care services. Additionally, Respiratory Therapy Supervisor plans and coordinates the daily work activities of respiratory therapists in accordance with hospital policies and the directives of medical staff. Ensures that all policies and procedures are followed according to the facility and department. Requires an associate degree. Typically reports to a manager or head of a unit/department. Requires Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT). The Respiratory Therapy Supervisor supervises a small group of para-professional staff in an organization characterized by highly transactional or repetitive processes. Contributes to the development of processes and procedures. Thorough knowledge of functional area under supervision. To be a Respiratory Therapy Supervisor typically requires 3 years experience in the related area as an individual contributor.
Respiratory Therapy Supervisor Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Respiratory Therapy Supervisor to join our team.
- Sharing responsibility for employee engagement, recruitment and retention;
- Creating and maintaining clinical schedule for safe staffing;
- Maintaining open and ongoing communication with the Chief Nursing Officer to ensure patient, staff, and facility needs are met;
- Promoting flexibility, team building and engagement to promote an efficient and positive work environment;
- Implementing company standards of care, policies, and procedures;
- Promoting continuous quality improvement;
- Providing respiratory care to patients with critical and complex medical and surgical conditions;
- Responsibility for the 24 hour operations of the respiratory therapy department;
- Competence in Rapid Response and code events;
- Teaching and counseling patients/families;
- Functioning as the Safety Officer in maintaining regulatory compliance regarding all aspects of the environment of care;
- Performs other duties as assigned or required;
- Ensures compliance with and prepares the department for regulatory agencies. (20%);
- Prepare, review and revise department standards of operation and care per regulatory requirements. (5%);
- Administers therapeutic respiratory care procedures according to hospital and department policies. (5%).
- Current BLS certification, ACLS within 6 months of employment;
- Positive, caring and customer-service-oriented attitude;
- Associates degree preferred;
- 3 years of work experience in an Acute Care setting preferred;
- Previous supervisory experience preferred;
- Current licensure to practice as a Respiratory Therapist in the state;
- Registered Credential (RRT) from the National Board of Respiratory Care (NBRC).