Senior Manager, Product Design Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Senior Manager, Product Design to join our team.
- Manage the overall health, well-being and career development of the product design team;
- Represent Recurly’s design culture both internally and externally;
- Develop design processes to scale design thinking;
- Take feedback and continuously improve yourself as a design leader;
- Partner with the Director of Brand Design to define the design team’s vision and to help set team and individual goals;
- Ensure the team is delivering great design quickly, predictably, and with appropriately defined scope;
- Gauge performance of individual contributors and managers, and have candid conversations focused on helping them improve;
- Remain hands-on to lead specific projects and efforts when needed;
- Know empathy is the most important design skill you possess;
- Guide the team towards simple and intuitive solutions for our customers;
- Recruit new designers and actively participate in the hiring process;
- Be responsible for all user experiences across the product, and ensure that everything Recurly puts out meets our high standard of design.
- Understand technical products, and are excited to take complicated problems and make them simple for our customers to control and manage;
- Scrappy enough to dive into the details and work through particularly tough problems yourself;
- You bring out the absolute best in the designers who work for you — they know it, and can’t wait to work with you again;
- Highly collaborative, low-ego approach to design;
- 3+ years of direct experience managing design teams – you are skilled at mentoring and growing designers, and have experience as a people leader;
- Are always ready to question assumptions and previous decisions whether they are in the product or in business decisions;
- A portfolio of relevant design work, executed either by yourself or a team that you led, that showcases your ability to ship successful products;
- 6+ years of experience as a hands-on Product Designer working across a wide range of products and driving creative solutions;
- Ability to champion roadmap execution and build strong design team culture simultaneously;
- 8+ years of industry experience and proven track record of leading Design and/or Product teams with a user-centered focus in an agile environment.