The Control Systems Engineer I measures output performance, analyzes issues with production quality and recommends solutions. Designs, installs, and adapts equipment used to monitor and control systems, machinery and processes. Being a Control Systems Engineer I requires a bachelor’s degree in engineering. Troubleshoots control systems and implements improvements to increase efficiency, reduce costs, and improve reliability. Being a Control Systems Engineer I work is closely managed. Works on projects/matters of limited complexity in a support role. Working as a Control Systems Engineer I typically requires 0-2 years of related experience.
Control Systems Engineer Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Control Systems Engineer to join our team.
- Represent CAP to outside entities on engineering, technical, and administrative matters;
- Create test plans and run frequency response tests for actuators and vehicle dynamics;
- Develop instrument mechanical installation and wiring details;
- Select and size electrical and electromechanical components such as valves, solenoids, circuit breakers, starters, and VFDs;
- Participate in the layout of new control panels;
- Compose automated test scripts for system integration verification;
- Develop vehicle performance requirements based on control system analyses;
- Specify and size control and communications cables;
- Troubleshoot test failures, identify root cause and recommend corrective actions;
- Validate requirements through the use of simulations, hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) and in-vehicle testing;
- Develop cable and termination schedules;
- Develop Matlab/Simulink/CarMaker based tools for analysis of vehicle control systems;
- Provide input into the development of sequence of operations (SOO) documents and functional control specifications;
- Specify instrumentation and develop instrument lists and location plans;
- Develop vehicle dynamics fault monitors.
- Strong electromechanical aptitude;
- Strong desire to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- Experience in the application of motion control, robotics, PLC/PC programming, and/or vision applications to accomplish customer requirements;
- Experience with Allen Bradley Logix PLC controls platforms a necessity;
- Proficiency with MATLAB/Simulink is desired;
- Proficiency in C/C++ desired;
- System troubleshooting and debugging skills, both in the lab and in the actual aircraft;
- Strong knowledge of System ID and Frequency Analysis techniques;
- Working knowledge of modern control design methods (such as LQR) and aircraft stability and control analysis;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suites (Word, Excel, Lotus Notes, etc.);
- Strong knowledge of vehicle handling, ride and tire dynamics;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Collaborative team player with strong written and in-person communication skills;
- In-depth knowledge of Safety standards (ANSI/RIA15.06, OSHA);
- Digital signal processing and controls education and/or experience desired.