The Database Engineer, Senior monitors the performance, scalability and security and resolves any issues. Plans, designs, develops and implements an organization’s databases. Being a Database Engineer, Senior requires comprehensive knowledge of database technologies, along with solid coding and computer system skills. Evaluates existing database design to determine necessary updates and integration requirements of new design, and to ensure final solutions meet organizational needs. In addition, Database Engineer, Senior typically requires a bachelor’s degree. Typically reports to a manager. Being a Database Engineer, Senior contributes to moderately complex aspects of a project. Work is generally independent and collaborative in nature. Working as a Database Engineer, Senior typically requires 4 to 7 years of related experience.
Senior Database Engineer Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Senior Database Engineer to join our team.
- Proactively escalate and own issues to resolution before they become problems;
- Maintain monitoring and alerting for databases and participate as a member of a rotating on-call schedule;
- Work directly with development and infrastructure teams to enhance the performance and observability of various database services;
- Proactively work with engineering teams to ensure that data and access standards are being followed;
- Fine tune operating system and database for performance and scalability;
- Support apps teams with SQL tuning, indexing, partitioning approach to achieve read/write efficiency;
- Design, develop and implement database systems based on customer requirements;
- Administer and troubleshoot Oracle databases and including security patching, SQL tuning, capacity planning, and schema design;
- Design and implement processes and procedures to reduce and eliminate database outages and downtime;
- Participate in database design and architecture to support application development projects;
- Troubleshoot database and application issues;
- Automate routine maintenance, monitoring and deployment procedures;
- “Client focus” has earned the trust and loyalty of our valued clients;
- Develop best practices for database design and development activities;
- “Integrity” has earned us a reputation for doing the right thing in all situations.
- Experience with Google Bigquery and Cloud Spanner;
- Deep understanding of relational database design and SQL;
- Top Secret Clearance;
- Strong ability to create, update and maintain stored procedures;
- Experience with AWS Redshift;
- Working knowledge of agile lifecycle management tools such as JIRA;
- Manage the daily activities of configuration and operation of IT systems;
- Provides detailed analysis and feedback to agency management and internal customers for escalated tickets;
- Experience with IBM Cognos and other On-Line Analytical Processing (OLAP) tools;
- Five (5) years of additional hardware engineering experience may be substituted for a bachelor’s degree;
- Possess a working knowledge and understanding of system administration interdependencies as part of the Service Oriented Architecture (SOA);
- Experience in Navy Security requirements implementation and their impacts to overall software architecture;
- Experience with Microsoft PowerBI Stack;
- Proven track record of designing, building, optimizing, and maintaining databases on a large s cale;
- Support the design of systems, mission architecture and associated hardware.