Nurse Practitioner – Psychiatric works in collaboration with physicians to manage care for patients in a psychiatric setting. Orders, interprets, and records results of clinical tests and reports results to physicians. Being a Nurse Practitioner – Psychiatric prescribes medications and makes recommendations for other therapeutic forms of treatment. Provides primary care to psychiatry and at-risk patients. Additionally, Nurse Practitioner – Psychiatric requires a master’s degree. Requires Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner (CRNP) in specialty area based on RN licensure and state authority for advanced practice. Typically reports to a manager or head of a unit/department. Nurse Practitioner – Psychiatric’s years of experience requirement may be unspecified. Certification and/or licensing in the position’s specialty is the main requirement.
Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner to join our team.
- Consult with MD on medication management, via telephone encounter, ECW consult, and/or visit with patient as needed to address BH concerns;
- Develops a treatment plan for each patient, using a patient-centered, harm-reduction model;
- Must report to the physician/employer medical regiments they have relayed while the physician was not physically present;
- In collaboration with on-site nurse, provides liaison to outside psychiatric and medical providers as necessary and appropriate;
- Demonstrates knowledge of current and emerging trends in techniques, issues and approaches in the mental health field;
- Prescribe and dispense medication for a patient who is under the care of physician/employer;
- Utilizes quality improvement data to enhance patient care;
- Implement physician directed and initiated treatment plans recorded as verbal orders to be countersigned;
- Maintains strict confidentiality, and treats staff, physicians, visitors and patients with dignity and respect;
- NP will not be required to provide inpatient/hospital or on-call duties;
- Electronically documents on patient;
- Requests and evaluates diagnostic studies as medically indicated;
- Familiarity with OSHA regulations related to universal precautions and hazardous material;
- Functions in conjunction with a physician;
- Performsother duties as assigned/necessary.
- Ability to build rapport and establish a strong therapeutic working relationship with clients;
- Hold a valid DEA;
- Experience providing evaluation and evidence-based psychotherapy with a broad spectrum of clinical presentations;
- Thorough professional knowledge of the practice of psychiatry;
- Minimum of 1 year working with individuals with developmental disabilities;
- Have the ability and training to prescribe to, and manage patients on psychiatric medications;
- Actively support program goals and system improvements/changes;
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position;
- Consult appropriately;
- Ability to relate sympathetically to a potentially difficult client population;
- NYS Nurse Practitioner with a specialty in Psychiatry/Mental Health;
- Good knowledge of current psychiatric treatments and trends;
- At least five years of experience in psychiatric mental health;
- The ability to write clear and concise reports;
- Have 1 year of psychiatric experience.