Media Relations Manager develops and implements policies and procedures for the relations between the media and the organization. Works to expand understanding of the organization’s business, performance, and strategy. Being a Media Relations Manager prepares summaries of media activity for senior management. May serve as the company’s spokesperson. Additionally, Media Relations Manager requires a bachelor’s degree. Typically reports to a head of a unit/department. The Media Relations Manager typically manages through subordinate managers and professionals in larger groups of moderate complexity. Provides input to strategic decisions that affect the functional area of responsibility. May give input into developing the budget. Capable of resolving escalated issues arising from operations and requiring coordination with other departments. To be a Media Relations Manager typically requires 3+ years of managerial experience.
Media Relations Manager Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Media Relations Manager to join our team.
- Provide training and preparation for media interviews;
- Plan and oversee press events;
- Working closely with social media team, promote positive press coverage via relevant social media channels;
- Produce press kits for distribution at major TAPS events;
- Maintain media contact database;
- Manage media relations calendar, metrics, media relations processes and press release approvals;
- Write and/or edit articles, op-eds, and press releases;
- Maintain media room on TAPS website.
- Working knowledge of AP Style;
- Places high-value on teamwork and collaboration but can work independently;
- A minimum of five years of relevant experience;
- Self-motivated with the ability to multitask and reprioritize to respond to emerging media opportunities;
- Exceptional writing and editing skills;
- Military public affairs experience a plus;
- Solid experience with social media including blogs, Facebook, Twitter, etc;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with senior leadership as well as peers;
- BA/MA degree in Journalism, Mass Communications or a related discipline;
- Experience building enduring relationships with local and national media outlets, especially those who cover military affairs.