Software Engineering Manager manages and oversees the design and development of software applications. Directs the work of engineers to ensure the best practices around software development. Being a Software Engineering Manager requires a bachelor’s degree. Typically reports to a senior manager. The Software Engineering Manager manages subordinate staff in the day-to-day performance of their jobs. True first level manager. Ensures that project/department milestones/goals are met and adhering to approved budgets. Has full authority for personnel actions. Extensive knowledge of department processes. To be a Software Engineering Manager typically requires 5 years experience in the related area as an individual contributor. 1 to 3 years supervisory experience may be required.
Software Engineering Manager Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Software Engineering Manager to join our team.
- Schedules and attends one-on-ones with direct reports, with regularity determined by the expressed needs of direct reports;
- Communicate technical expertise, stay current and communicate best practices within their technical discipline;
- Encourages and supports others to take on responsibility, authority, and accountability;
- Influence enterprise architecture from a software and data standpoint;
- Maintaining strict service level objectives of our business-critical services;
- Recommend solutions which take into consideration costs, business needs, and system impacts;
- PCS representative in software steering committees;
- Identify and report on key KPIs for software development;
- Identifying, engaging, and managing relationships between our client and 3rd party software design, development, testing, QA and related partners;
- Software architecture definition;
- Collaborate with Product Management to execute on product objectives;
- Improve the application team’s technical capabilities by establishing best practices, mentoring team members and recruiting new employees;
- Create and manage execution plans and risk plans at scrum and portfolio level;
- Excellent communication skills, deep understanding of front-end technologies & discipline to follow engineering best practices & processes;
- Regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands or arms.
- Understanding of and experience with large, multi-faceted and complex systems;
- Experience working in small teams with a great deal of autonomy;
- Experience with various development environments, versioning tools, SCM;
- Cloud Native container platform (OpenShift, PCF, Docker, Kubernetes);
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills;
- Primary Skills: Specialize in at least 3 items below Client Side technologies (Angular, JS, TypeScript, NodeJS);
- well versed in security principles, adaptability, team first attitude and awesome;
- Ability to implement, follow and enforce stringent development processes;
- Recognized as an expert and strives for excellence with the ability to mentor and coach other engineers to do the same;
- experience as an agile coach;
- General knowledge of other related principles;
- Thorough knowledge of Software Development Life Cycle principles;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Azure, AWS, or similar cloud computing platform(s);
- Excellent knowledge in software architecture principles;
- Experience working as a Software developer is a plus.