The Senior Mechanical Designer assists in the production of detailed schematics for HVAC or plumbing systems. Designs and develops layouts for mechanical systems. Being a Senior Mechanical Designer typically reports to a manager or head of a unit/department. May require a bachelor’s degree in a related area. Working as a Senior Mechanical Designer typically requires 4 to 7 years of related experience. Contributes to moderately complex aspects of a project. Work is generally independent and collaborative in nature.
Senior Mechanical Designer Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Senior Mechanical Designer to join our team.
- Undertake site surveys, field investigations, condition surveys and feasibility studies for proposed projects and prepare reports;
- Address questions and issues during construction;
- Size and specify mechanical equipment including air handling units, chillers, cooling towers, boilers, pumps, etc;
- Responsible for the total management of specific projects including personnel, quality, client expectations and profitability;
- Provide engineering services for the full life cycle of projects, from conceptual planning to completed construction;
- Lead the mechanical design project team for a variety of clients;
- Ensure that cost, customer service, quality, schedule and safety are incorporated into the design from commencement through completion;
- Design systems that meet green building standards, as required;
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related goals, as needed;
- Coach and mentor junior staff;
- Maintain internal and external networks to be informed of new developments in the industry;
- Plan, design & produce mechanical building systems;
- Assist with business development efforts including proposals, interviews, etc., as needed;
- Proactively work on best practices, engineering guidelines and internal procedures;
- Coordinate with architects, other engineering disciplines and construction personnel.
- Professional Engineer (PE) license in the State of Florida preferred;
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite and PDF Readers (i.e., Bluebeam or Adobe Reader) required; proficiency with AutoCAD and Revit preferred;
- 10+ years of Mechanical Engineering design experience including Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning [HVAC] required;
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Mechanical Engineering preferred;
- High attention to detail and time management skills, and proven leadership ability within the construction industry;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to interface with engineering and design teams of other disciplines in the power plant design process;
- An Associate’s Degree in drafting, or a high school diploma and 1 or more years drafting course work or equivalent technical experience;
- Experience in the review of mechanical equipment, including outlines and interface points, and coordinating and developing the associated deliverables;
- 7 or more years of detailed physical design experience in the development of mechanical general arrangements, piping systems, and supports;
- Proficiency with design software tools in executing 3D plant layout models.