Logistics Manager manages and plans for logistics policies, objectives, and initiatives. Creates procedures for logistics management to optimize product workflow and minimize cost. Being a Logistics Manager has responsibilities for vendor selection and negotiation, distribution, transportation, and inventory control. Typically requires a bachelor’s degree. Additionally, Logistics Manager typically reports to a senior manager. The Logistics Manager manages subordinate staff in the day-to-day performance of their jobs. True first level manager. Ensures that project/department milestones/goals are met and adhering to approved budgets. Has full authority for personnel actions. Extensive knowledge of department processes. To be a Logistics Manager typically requires 5 years experience in the related area as an individual contributor. 1 to 3 years supervisory experience may be required.
Logistics Manager Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Logistics Manager to join our team.
- Provide recommendations for delivery and drivers pay rates within each market;
- Management of relationship with our Logistics platform provide;
- Create SOPs and conduct quarterly/annual performance assessments on carriers based on spend level;
- Coordinates and manages logistics for the efficient storage and distribution of finished goods; directs movement of finished goods to the warehouse;
- Maintain metrics and analyze data to assess performance and implement improvements;
- Monitors the movement of material between buildings;
- Maintain and nurture relationship and understand key dynamics of each facility;
- Identify and drive new initiatives, cost savings and service improvement opportunities at each facility;
- Increase data integrity as well as develop recommendations;
- Coordinate/manage logistics procedures involving 3rd party manufacturers and 3rd party logistics providers according to industry best practice;
- Prepare man hour estimates for new projects, manage man hours per project and approve employee timesheets;
- Accountable for project specific staff utilization by distributing work evenly and monitoring workload;
- Coordinate shipments, monitor delivery schedules and shipment processes;
- Performance management, recruitment, rewarding and disciplinary actions, and other personnel related functions for the expediting/logistics team;
- Manage relationship with 3PL warehouse(s).
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast paced environment;
- Working knowledge and experience in freight or logistics management systems and computer skills;
- BS in Business Administration, Logistics or Supply Chain;
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple projects;
- Record of successful distribution and logistics management;
- Experience in a leadership/supervisory position required;
- Demonstration of capability to facilitate projects/focus groups in a team environment while providing team leadership;
- Experience with inland trucking, rates & quotes;
- Possesses strong understanding of a Mill Operation and the relationship and integration of Logistics within that Operation;
- Provides Logistics expert advice, coaching and counseling to peers and the broader Logistics organization in general;
- 5+ years experience in the international logistics / shipping field preparing international documentation for exporting goods;
- Experience with QuickBooks is beneficial;
- This person doesn’t necessarily need experience in food;
- Must be highly proficient in Microsoft Excel;
- Excellent relationship builder experience working in large scale operations.