The Labor and Delivery Nurse assists physicians with examinations, labor and delivery, operates and monitors medical equipment, and records relevant statistics, including time of birth. Provides professional nursing care to assigned OB/GYN patients. Being a Labor and Delivery Nurse observes patient’s condition, records observations in patient medical record, and updates attending physician directly when necessary. Provides immediate and comprehensive care to mothers and newborns during antepartum, intrapartum and postpartum periods. In addition, Labor and Delivery Nurse may administer medications and IV solutions as necessary. Requires graduation from an approved nursing program. Typically reports to a manager or head of a unit/department. Typically requires Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) certification. Requires a state license to practice. Labor and Delivery Nurse’s years of experience requirement may be unspecified. Certification and/or licensing in the position’s specialty is the main requirement.
Labor & Delivery Nurse Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Labor & Delivery Nurse to join our team.
- Cares for patients requiring fetal assessment/fetal monitoring;
- Monitors, records and communicates patient condition as appropriate utilizing computerized documentation systems;
- Carries out physician orders;
- Orients and mentors new staff members;
- Assesses, plans and evaluates patient care needs including obtaining patient history and assessing for labor risk factors;
- Instructs and educates patients and families;
- Manages the patient’s pain including epidural and patient controlled analgesia administration management;
- Administers prescribed medications and monitors vital signs;
- Serves as the primary coordinator of all disciplines for well coordinated patient care;
- Provides age and culturally appropriate care;
- Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective equipment as required;
- Assists physician during delivery, treatment, examination and surgical procedures.
- Active RN License;
- Degree from accredited nursing program;
- Other requirements to be determined by our client facility;
- Eighteen months of recent experience in an Acute Care Labor and Delivery (L&D) setting;
- BLS, ACLS, NRP, PALS AWHONN Certifications;
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree preferred;
- Active State RN License with NO restrictions;
- Minimum of 1 years experience in Labor and Delivery;
- Eighteen months of recent experience in an Acute Care Mother/Baby setting;
- Demonstrates mature professional behaviors, (i.e. tact, empathy and diplomacy). Promotes a positive working environment;
- BLS, ACLS & NRP Certification.