The Structural Design Engineer I performs analysis of building materials for use in construction. Designs load-bearing structures or structural elements, such as buildings, bridges, or roadways. Being a Structural Design Engineer I determines cause of structural failures, damages, and defects through site investigations. Develops blueprints or specifications for use during construction and ensures all projects comply with applicable codes and regulations. In addition, Structural Design Engineer I provides reports detailing investigations and assessment of damages to the structure. Requires a bachelor’s degree. Typically reports to a supervisor or manager. Working as a Structural Design Engineer I typically requires 0-2 years of related experience. Works on projects/matters of limited complexity in a support role. Work is closely managed.
Structural Design Engineer Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Structural Design Engineer to join our team.
- Performs work in accordance with agreed upon budget and schedule under supervision;
- Uses computer software as a tool for solving basic engineering problems;
- Monitors own work to ensure keeping on set schedule;
- Assists with engineering duties on projects of various complexity;
- Conducts engineering design under the supervision of an experienced engineer;
- The ability to work with, interpret, and apply National and Local Codes;
- Performs engineering tasks on assigned projects, including bridges and transportation structures;
- Recommends appropriate actions to ensure compliance with all local, state and federal regulations;
- Performs field work as directed by a senior engineer/ designer;
- Builds analytic and design skills;
- Performs basic calculations using company standard software and proprietary manufacturer software;
- Must be technically competent in all aspects of structural engineering;
- Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned;
- Receives instructions on specific assignment objectives, complex features and possible solutions;
- Conducts basic interpretations of drawings, codes, and other similar materials.
- 5+ years of Pre-Engingeering building design experience or Structural Steel experience;
- Relevant Bachelor Degree (PE would be a big plus);
- Fluent in AutoCAD.